Chakaravarthi Thillainathan graduated with LLB (Hons) from the University of London & completed his Masters In Law with the specialisation in Maritime Law. Pursuant to this he completed his Certificate in Legal Practice and was called to the Malaysian Bar in 2010. Since the start of practice, he handled civil and general litigation matters involving banking, land and insurance among many other matters.
Chakra, as he is known amongst peers and clients alike, was involved in the following types of work throughout his professional life:
- represented many insurance companies including AmInsurance and Uni Asia in motor vehicle collision matters for a period of two years managing to limit the liability attached to his clients;
- He is also highly experienced in mediation and other alternative dispute resolution processes;
- Acted as a co-counsel with the late Member of Parliament YB Karpal Singh and current Member of Parliament Ramkarpal Singh in a highly contentious drug trafficking matter involving a juvenile and managed to procure an acquittal.
- Advised on a number of vessels sale transactions involving Malaysian and foreign parties in the region of RM20 to 30 million in value;
- On the social front, due to his professional standing, he was also involved in community projects in the vicinity of PJ Old Town and New Town for the betterment of the residents in those areas and also was appointed as an auditor for the BP-Guild Malaysia for the terms 2017 to 2019 and 2019 to 2021
He also ran his own firm for 6 years before merging with Messrs Low & Partners to enhance his practice and above all to serve local and international clients, more effectively in the area of commercial, maritime and insurance law.
During the course of his career, he also completed his Certificate in Post Graduate Law with Merit (specialising in Maritime Law) and Masters in Law (specialising in Maritime Law) with the University of London and is currently pursuing his qualification to act as an arbitrator with the CIArb to also share his wide expertise in the law through various alternative dispute resolution channels and processes with a larger and more international client base within the Asia Pacific Region and beyond in commercial and maritime law.
Chakra is passionate about helping people and lends a good ear to those in need of help from a young age. This led him to do various projects and engagements in his community including being engaged by the National Legal Aid Foundation (also known as Yayasan Bantuan Guaman Kebangasaan (YBGK)) to conduct remand proceedings and provide free legal service to those in need.
He has also brought this quality to the forefront for the benefit of his clients and industry players to ensure they benefit in their business, work and social activities. He aims to bring this quality onwards and beyond to a more international stage so he can positively touch as many lives as possible.