Kenneth Tan obtained his Bachelor of Laws Degree from the University of Anglia in England in 1997. After that, he received his Certificate of Legal Practice from the Qualifying Board of Malaysia in 2000. He was called to the Malaysian Bar on the 11th of October 2001 after he had completed his pupillage under the Chambers of Mr. Kevin Gregory Danker. On January 2020, Kenneth Tan joined Messrs. Low & Partners (“the Firm”) as a Principal Associate and he was elevated as a Partner of the Firm on January 2023.
Kenneth Tan works primarily on contentious issues and has litigation experience in the High Court, Court of Appeal, and Federal Court. He specialises in defamatory proceedings but has also dealt with a broad range of other civil and commercial litigation matters, including contractual, tortuous, committal proceedings and industrial disputes. Kenneth Tan's clients include local businesses, corporations, creditors and lenders, developers, and individuals.
The extensive practicing experience of more than 20 years has allowed Kenneth Tan to obtain quick judgments in favour of his clients. He is also very adept at reconciling and reaching out-of-court settlements in some instances.
Kenneth Tan believes that his clients can trust him as he speaks the language of stability. He delivers results based on his years of experience, and clients naturally trust his advice. He has been called dependable, stable, and comforting. Most of his clients are clients for life.
His noteworthy representative matters include the followings:
- Advised an industry leading global brand activation agency for contractual agreements worth totalling RM50,000,000.00 for projects at World Expo 2015, Milan Italy and Expo Negaraku 2017, Dataran Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur;
- Acted for a marine services provider in a claim for breach of contract worth SGD550,000.00;
- Acted for a leading printing company in the Selangor for claims against the company directors for breaches of fiduciary and fidelity duties;
- acted for a community service volunteer’s claims for defamation in the sum of RM5,000,000.00 against a prominent Member of Parliament;
- Acted for a local talent agency director’s claims for defamation against a international fashion model;
- Acted for a developer cum land owner claims of RM2.5 million against the Land Administrator of Ulu Langat under the Land Acquisition Act 1960;
- Successfully defended a leading construction company for breach of terms of a construction agreement in sums in excess of RM20,000,000.00;
- Acted for the parties and contributed to the development of new case law in the following reported cases :
a) Uniphoenix Corporation Berhad v Danaharta Urus Sdn Bhd  1 LNS 287;
b) Uniphoenix Corporation Berhad v Oriental Bank Berhad  1 LNS 288;
c) Seng Hup Corporation Bhd v Chan Chai Tiam  3 ILR 1039.
- successfully won a defamation case at the Ipoh High Court via Court Civil Case No. AA-22NCvC-96-12/2020;
- acted for a prominent surgeon and an Associate Professor of an established Malaysian University suing in the capacity of a Plaintiff in a defamatory proceeding;
- acted for a prominent medical forensic expert who is also a Professor of an established Malaysian University and suing in the capacity of a Plaintiff in a defamatory proceedings;
- acted for an established multinational company with its Headquarters located in India for claims in excess of RM4,000,000.00 for breach of contractual terms in a construction contract;
- acted for a prominent accountant and successfully struck out (via striking out application) claims for tort of harassment and injunctory claims;
- defended a multi-million ringgit claims for disputed shares transactions at the Kuala Lumpur High Court via Court Civil Case No. WA-22NCC-235-05/2021;
- acted for a high-profile and prominent businessman in a defamatory matter.