FAQs for Single Status Confirmation in Malaysia

Single Status Certificate/ Marital Status Statement: What, Why and How?

View Chinese Version

  1. What is a Single Status Certificate/ Marital Status Statement?

    This is a document issued by Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN) (Malaysia’s National Registration Department”) as a certificate of confirmation of the single (marital) status of an individual. This certificate applies to non-Muslim Malaysian citizens.

  2. Why is it important to have a Single Status Certificate/ Marital Status Statement?

    This is important if an individual wishes to marry a person in a foreign country that practices monogamous marriages (where a person may only be married to one person at a time). This would mean that if a person wishes to marry a person in Hong Kong, Singapore or any other country that practices monogamous marriages, they may require parties to prove that they are not involved in any other marriages in their home country before the marriage can be registered.

  3. Will it be serious to not produce the Single Status Certificate/ Marital Status Statement to register a marriage overseas?

    The laws of Malaysia provides that where a person lawfully married under any law, religion, custom or usage or during the continuance of such marriage, who purports to remarry, shall be deemed to commit the offence of marrying again during the lifetime of his or her spouse. This is an offence under Section 494 of the Penal Code.
    It may not be compulsory to produce this certificate to the foreign authorities, as it depends on the law and requirements of the country in which you are choosing to remarry. Do check with the Registry of Marriages whether they require such documentation prior to registering your marriage.

  4. How long is the validity of a Single Status Certificate/ Marital Status Statement?

    It is best to plan ahead if you do intend to remarry in a foreign country and check with them regarding the requirements as the Single Status Certificate only lasts 150 days from the date of issuance.

  5. Where can I apply for the Single Status Certificate/ Marital Status Statement?

    Applications can only be made to the JPN Headquarters in Putrajaya personally or appointing a law firm. You may contact us for more information or to engage our services in extracting this certificate for you!

If you have any questions or require any additional information, please contact our lawyer that you usually deal with.

This article is written by 
Cassandra Lee Tze Hui
Associate, Low & Partners
Share this article

Related Articles  


Jun 20, 2023  
View English Version 如果您是马来西亚公民,并计划与外籍配偶结婚,您需要获得“单身证明”(Single Status Certificate)。单身证明是一份文件,证明您是单身人士,未婚或已离婚,可以合法结婚。 以下是关于申请马来西亚单身证明的指南,包括 • 申请程序 • 所需文件 • 等待时间 • 费用 • 律师楼代办的程序等相关信息。 如何您可以通过以下方式申请单身证明: 律师楼将会协助您收集和准备所需文件,并向国家登记处提交申请,然后通知您审核和处理的结果。 申请需要的文件: 以下是您需要准备的文件: • 马来西亚身份证(MyKad)和有效护照副本; • 出生证明副本(如果您的出生证明未在国家登记处注册); • 其他可能需要的文件,如离婚证书或丧偶证明(如果适用)。 请注意,如果您的文凭或学历证书不是由马来西亚政府颁发的,您还需要进行文件认证。文件认证的过程需要向马来西亚外交部(Ministry of Foreign Affairs)提交申请,并缴纳认证费用。认证完成后,您将获得一份文件认证证明,以证明您的文凭或学历证书是真实有效的。 等待时间和费用 以下是一般的流程: 选择一家信誉良好的律师楼,并与他们联系以了解程序、等待时间和费用。 律师楼代表你提交申请:一旦律师楼收到你的文件,他们将为你提交单身证明申请。...

Effect of Divorce granted by the Court of other Jurisdiction

Apr 4, 2023  
This article aims to discuss the procedures to enforce the divorce order granted by other jurisdictions (other country). For a civil marriage solemnized abroad and dissolved under the laws of a foreign country, one party...

Questions? We're here to help

Send Us Inquiries/ Message/ Feedback :